Why Cheney High School!
Cheney High School is working on letting the public know what our school has to offer. We have come up with the following list items.
Our school provides…
- National Board certified teachers.
- a collaborative learning environment.
- a full time Career/Scholarship specialist.
- parent/teacher access at arena conferences.
- teachers who teach in their area of certification.
- state-of-the-art technology, with frequent upgrades
- a caring, supportive staff, promoting life long learning.
- parent access to student assignments and grades online.
- continual professional development to improve teaching skills and knowledge.
- a library that serves students and community with current technologies and online research tools.
- extensive extra-curricular programs, including academic support, enrichment activities, clubs and sports.
- After school tutoring with certified teachers
- after school options for credit retreval
Our staff is committed to...
- traditions that run deep.
- a students first approach.
- a personalized education for all.
- a focus on continuous improvement.
- maintaining an informative, user friendly website.
- providing a positive, safe and secure learning environment.
- helping every student reach standard in math, reading, literature.
- pursuing grant opportunities that support our school improvement plan.
- the Tri-Agency agreement—partnership with E.W.U and the City of Cheney.
Our school’s curriculum…
- is well-rounded.
- includes new, flexible assessment tools.
- is current, reflects state standards, and integrates new technologies.
- includes the arts, professional-technical education, and foreign languages.
- facilitates continual improvement of EOC, HSPE, SBAC, SAT, ACT, and AP achievement.
- President Elect Washington Vocational Sports Medicine Association
- FCCLA—National, State and Regional winners
- National Merit Scholars
- Spokane Scholars
- State 1st place WVSMA Sports Medicine Competition Student Forum
- National French Contest—high scoring students
- 29 Washington State Honors Recipients
- 30 National Leadership Star Event Competition
- “Creativity” Chase Youth Award 2005—Art Club
- CISCO training for students wanting to learn computer networking
- Sports Medicine/Athletic Training Program
- College credits offered in Spanish III, Teaching Academy
- Running Start ENG101
- 16 Honors and Advanced Placement Courses
- Renowned Choir and Band Programs
- Articulated with SFCC for students to earn up to 21 college credits in computer classes
- Ongoing enhancement and restoration of Marshall Creek (10+ years)
- 3A Knowledge Bowl Regional and State Champions 2003,2004, 2005
- Working relationship with EWU teachers and programs
- FFA District Officer and State finalist in Extemporaneous Public Speaking
- FFA member selected as one of 30 young farmers to receive a 100% paid weeklong training program about skills needed to succeed in agriculture today.
- Allow for extended scientific research opportunities outside of the traditional classroom
- Collaborative Laboratory Experience with WSU and our Chemistry/Physics Departments
- Partners in Learning Grant—$2.5 million for math and literacy
- SADD Grants, American Lung Association, Youth Suicide Prevention Program
- Microsoft Grant funds technology in education
- Foreign language grant allowing students more educational opportunities
- DECA donates money to Cheney Veterans’ Memorial and Vanessa Behan Crisis Center
- Spanish Club—sponsoring a child through CCF
- Read to Feed—students read to get food in the Food Bank
- Student body leadership raised money for hurricane relief
- Biology classes re-habit development at Turnbull Wildlife Refuge and Marshall Creek
- FCCLA—Cheney Teen Center support, Make-a-Wish foundation, St. Margaret’s Shelter
- Scholarships—Dollars for Scholars non-profit provides scholarships for students
- Relay for Life—cancer care fund raisers
- Annual Blood Drive here at CHS
- Pledge for Peace—Sponsored for the 7th year by FCCLA, Art and Key Clubs
- Boys’ and girls’ swimming program
- Be a Blackhawk program
- Family Access—parents’ online access to their student’s records, grades , progress and attendance
- Vocational collaboration with special services and food service.
- Intel “Teach to the Future” - staff technology development
- Outstanding, comprehensive web site
- Foreign Exchange Experiences